I want to start out by saying again that we really appreciate everything everyone has said and done for us. I know that Dustin appreciates it and that the baby does too so this is not just from me. I wanted to tell everyone what is going on so that if they one day go through this, they will know that they are not alone. We were not yet prepared to have our baby, and now given the circumstances, we are a little more unprepared. So I hope this helps someone else down the line.

On Sunday (May 2nd) my stomach started to hurt, as did my sides. I ignored this pain thinking it was just normal stretching of my muscles given that it commonly happens to people in the second trimester. Then the next morning, when I went to the bathroom, I noticed a lot of fluid. Honestly, I thought that it was normal because I had just gotten up. I then proceeded to go to work as usual and spent most of the day working but noticing that my sides were hurting more and more. I also kept feeling wetness that seemed like a lot to me. So I called Dr. Finazzo and he told me to go to Wyandotte Hospital.

I went to the hospital and met Dustin there where we went to the maternity ward. Once there, the doctors did an ultrasound on Jack and saw that he had very little fluid surrounding him. They then decided to do a visual exam and saw fluid around my cervix. This confirmed the suspicion that my water was broken. I was only 23 weeks pregnant as of that date which placed me into a high risk category. Basically, if the baby is born at 23 weeks, they do not consider him to be viable. Only 10% of babies survive. The doctors wanted a person with more experience with babies to do another ultrasound to re-confirm everything and so I spent the night at Wyandotte hospital waiting for that to be done. The next day when the other ultrasound was complete and they again confirmed that I was continuously leaking, my Dr. and the high risk doctor on call decided I needed to be moved to a place where they specialize in high risk pregnancies and most specifically, pre-mature babies. They found me a place at Hutzel Womens Hospital, which is where I sit right now.

Once I arrived at the hospital (after the nicest ambulance drivers in the world got us here, thanks to them!), they took me to labor and delivery to make sure I was not going to go into labor right away. The risks for us right now are threefold. The first being that the baby itself and/or his cord could just come out unexpectedly due to there being no water sac to block the way. The second is that I could get an infection which would not only jeopardize the baby, but I could potentially have to have a hysterectomy or die. The third is that I can now technically go into active labor at any time. It is for all of these reasons why I am ordered now on to bedrest for as long as it takes to deliver  our baby boy healthy.

After spending time in labor and delivery, I got moved to my home away from home in the high risk floor where I will remain until I go into labor or they decide to take Jack out.

There are some things I feel I should mention, things that I never knew before and have since learned in case anyone reading this ever has to go through this. The first is to never underestimate your family or friends, it is amazing the love the world has for you without you realizing it. And the love of your baby and care for your baby is tremendous, even from complete strangers. Second, don’t give up. It is only you that your baby has to care for it. Do everything you can to help him grow. And third, the doctors do not mean to scare you, and not everything they say will actually happen to you or the baby. They have to tell you these things so they know you are informed. In terms of statistics that I have heard at this point, if the baby was born now he would most likely not survive. But I have asked to be given steroids earlier than most people to give his lungs a better chance at growing just in case he does come in the next few days. Usually they wait until 24 weeks but I asked them to do it now. Also I gave them permission to do a Cesarian if they thought it would help. Additionally, Dustin and I opted to take part in a research study so that future generations of women and men may not have to have their babies go through all of this. Other stats I think you should know that once 24 weeks comes, the chance of survival rises to 60%. While there is still a high risk of issues (blindness, deafness, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy) the chance of those things goes down the further along I get. The longest anyone on this floor has gone in the situation like mine is 40 days after their water broke. I am hoping to beat that record.

There are only 9 of us in the unit, I feel very fortunate to be among those 9. This hospital has been very good to us and I cannot thank my doctors and nurses enough for all of the comfort they have provided me so far.

With that, I think I will take a breather from writing. As things develop, I’m sure my mom will keep people updated and I will too. They don’t like me being on the computer too much because of my IV’s. 🙂

Thank you again everyone, we appreciate all you have done.

With love,

Emily

Advertisements